Corn-Free Hush Puppies

What shall i cook this evening?  Lets see what’s in my Bon Appetit cookbook!! Hmmmm, so many choices :)))))) Turn,Turn, Turn, oh, Hush Puppies it is…



First Step:
Since I have a corn allergy, I’ll be replacing the cornmeal with millet. And how am i going to do that? Well, lets see….


By using my coffee grinder, i can get a cornmeal consistency.


I love when things work out!!! Coarse Millet Meal, Baby!!!!!!

Second Step:
Mixed my cup of millet and my cup of whole wheat flour. The original recipe called for all purpose flour but i did not have any in my cupboard, so I’m going with whole wheat. 


Looking Good!!


After mixing the two flours together, mix in the seasonings…. Baking powder, cayenne, black pepper, and salt.  Mix the ingredients well. Set aside

Third Step:
Time to chop Green Onions, Jalapeño Peppers, Onions, & Garlic. Set aside…


Fourth Step: Wet Ingredients:
The original recipe called for whole milk, but i prefer homemade almond milk. Almond milk it is and a tablespoon of coconut milk, Yum!! I can drink coconut milk straight out of the can, oh so good!!!



Time to combine the chopped veggies, habanero sauce & eggs to the almond/coconut milk. Whisk ingredients well.

Fifth Step:
Add the Wet Ingredients to the Dry Ingredients  and stir with a fork until well combined… 


After it’s been mixed it should look like this…Oh, Boy!!


Let it rest for 10 minutes. In the mean time… Pour enough oil (about 3 inches…i used less) in a heavy duty pot for frying. I used coconut oil and heat to 350 degrees. Working in batches, drop the batter by tablespoon into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. 


Using a slotted spoon, transfer hush puppies to paper towel to drain. Time to Eat!!


Hush Puppies
Adapted from Bon Appetit Cookbook

1cup of yellow cornmeal (I used Millet)
1 cup All purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup whole milk (i used almond milk and 1 tablespoon coconut milk)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup green onions ( i used 2/4 cup green onions and 1/4 cup jalapeño peppers, seeded)
2 teaspoon minced onions
1 minced garlic clove
1 tablespoon habanero sauce or hot sauce
Dash of Worcestershire sauce ( I did not use)

Whisk first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to combine. Whisk milk, eggs, onions, garlic, and hot sauce in a medium bowl to blend; add to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until well combined. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Pour enough oil into a heavy duty pot and heat to 350 degrees. Working in batches, drop batter by tablespoon into hot oil and fry until golden brown. Transfer hush puppies to a paper towel to drain.






The Inside was so soft and spicy, Yum!!

Make Fridays A Little More Special Than Normal!!



Comments

  1. Can you replace the millet and the wheat flour with almond and coconut flour? I am also allergic to corn but I have been trying to cut out grains from my diet for my asthma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure you can. If you decide to use coconut flour just remember that it’s a lighter flour than almond flour and is drier and absorbent than the average flour so you’ll need to make some adjustments to the recipe. You will need to use the same amount of flour but add 1 extra egg (on top of what’s called for in the recipe) for every ounce of coconut flour.

      Delete
  2. I am curious what kind of baking powder you use. My daughter has a corn allergy and we cannot use baking powder because it contains corn. I think there is one brand that doesn't, but it is not available in our area. Can you tell me what brand you use? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i usually make my own with cream of tartar and baking soda: 1 teaspoon of baking powder you need 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar plus 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. hope this helps!!

      Delete
    2. Mary James Farm has a corn free version I believe. It should be available through mail order.

      Delete
    3. MY husband has a corn allergy, we make our own using a 3 to 1 ratio of potato starch and baking soda, respectively. It works really well and you can usually find Bob's Red Mill potato starch at your grocery store.

      Delete
  3. I used a course ground semolina in place of the millet as I have done this to make corn-free cornbread and it worked out really well. It's nice to know that I've other options in case I run out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts