Mock Cornbread

millet cornbread

Millet is a very delicate looking grain. It’s tiny in size and round in shape. If you every looked or bought bird seeds it’s usually one of the main ingredients. It’s those tiny little yellow seeds you may see. I like millet because it is highly nutritious and easy to digest. It’s very high in the minerals iron, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium. Another thing is that I am allergic to corn so using millet flour, as a mock cornbread is perfect for me. I must admit I miss all things with corn :( But if you haven’t tried millet it’s mildly sweet with a nut-like flavor, very tasty i must say!! If you want to enhance the flavor a little bit just roast those tiny seeds in a dry pan before cooking.

Now, this delicious mock cornbread was made from hulled, organic millet. All I had to do was place it in my miller, change the setting to a fine flour and mill away.  I was able to produce this fine flour in minutes that retain all of it nutrients even the natural oils in the grain are kept. WOW! To be honest the taste and texture was quite a bit like cornbread after cooking the millet in the oven. I think I have found my substitution when it comes to corn…Millet Baby…The taste is so delicious!!


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups Millet Flour
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 egg
  • 1tbsp. honey
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil, for skillet
Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees. 


Mix millet flour, salt and baking powder. Combine the almond milk , yogurt, olive oil and honey in a large bowl. Pour the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients. Mix well. The dough will be as soft as cake batter. Pour the 2 tbsp. olive oil in a black skillet and grease that skillet up. Place the skillet in the oven to warm up about 5minutes. Transfer the batter into it. It will sizzle while you pour the batter mixture into the pot. Bake it until golden for about 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
millet cornbread

Make Fridays A Little More Special Than Normal!!

Comments

  1. This sounds wonderful and looks great. I am not familiar with millet, but your write-up inspires me to give it a try next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good, I want to try this, but your right, millet does remind me of bird food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks great. I love love cornbread.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts